Monday 16 January 2012

Chop Suey by Ty Hutchinson

This is the story of Darby Stansfield - a man on commission at a telecom company. He hasn't been bringing in much custom lately so he is given six months to shape up or ship out. He hits on the perfect idea for bringing in those big sales, sell to organised crime gangs, namely the Triads. It all goes well until he meets and falls in love with an Inspector in the Hong Kong police who is investigating the Triad gangs, falls foul of a serial killer and winds up in the middle of a gang war.

This was fantastic! I cannot sing its praises loud enough. How on earth Ty managed to pull off humour, Triads and a serial killer all in the same story I have no idea, but it worked. Darby is the loveable hero bumbling from one disaster to the next but somehow surviving by the skin of his teeth each time. He drags his best friend Tav into his schemes and somewhat reluctantly Tav goes along with them - despite knowing how it will usually pan out! The story was told from two different view points, first person and third person but never once was I confused. It felt rather like I was watching events unfold that Darby wasn't aware of and more than once I wanted to slap him! The story itself belted along and had me from page one and didn't put me down until the climactic ending.

A great funny, laugh out loud thriller with a serious side. Read it, you won't regret it. I am looking forward to more of the authors work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment