Tuesday 16 July 2013

Dark of the Sun by Maynard Sims

This is the story of Harry Beck. He is happy living a lazy life in the Bahamas. Having lived there all his life with his 2 childhood friends, Alan Lancaster and Jack Dylan. Now grown up, he runs a boat charter for the guests of Alan's hotel. One day when visiting Alan, Alan's wife and daughter are killed in a car bomb. Whilst trying to get to the bottom of the mystery, and trying to locate a missing Alan, Harry stumbles on some information that will change his life forever. Soon all he holds dear to him will be at stake, and he begins to wonder if he ever really knew his friends at all...

This was markedly different from the usual DarkFuse offerings. Having been used to dark fiction from them, this was a suspenseful thriller that kept me glued to every page. It was a fast paced rollercoaster of a ride with many twists and turns until the very end. In fact just when I thought I had everything worked out, at about 96% of the book done, the author took me by the hand and dragged me off in another direction entirely! The ending was explosive and quite unexpected. The characters had depth,  and I enjoyed getting to know them on a personal level. The paragraph structures were great, quick 5 minute chapters that ended in such a way as to keep me page turning to find out what happened next. Hopefully there will be more like this from the author, as I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment