Monday 8 June 2015

The Hallow by Keith Deininger

This is the story of James. He lives with his best friend Vance and has a beautiful girlfriend, Allie. One day James sees a woman in the park, then she turns up at their house on their sofa. She gets up, and walks to James' bedroom, lays down and dies. Soon after, Allie takes him to a massive tree she calls The Hallow. From then on Vance stays in his room most of the time, making odd shuffling noises, and things around James start to get really odd....

This is another trippy, mind F@@k type story that this author is becoming famous for. I found myself thinking a lot about it for quite a while after I had finished it, and the more I thought about it, the more I understood what the author was trying to portray. The characters were ok, but I found it hard to care at all about Vance, he seemed so self-absorbed! The pace was cracking, I read this in two sittings. I think I will keep an eye out for more of this authors work, as I am enjoying his style more and more.

1 comment: