Sunday 16 March 2014

Sick B*stards by Matt Shaw

This is the story of a family who wake up in their car with no memory of how they got there or why they are there. They know a nuclear bomb has exploded, but that's it. They stumble upon an empty house and decide to stay there for the time being in the hopes that their memories will return. All is well until the food runs out, suddenly they find theirselves resorting to actions they would never have thought possible. How far must they go to survive?

This was gritty and raw and totally uncompromising. I found it very hard to put down. I was drawn into the families suffering, and I stayed there until the bitter end. There was a lot of gore, and some shocking scenes of incest, but that's what Matt was trying to achieve, to shock. The twist at the end was an interesting one, and posed some difficult questions. I understand Matt has a sequel planned, and if it is anything like this then I am sold already!

No comments:

Post a Comment