Thursday 17 January 2013

The Children Shall Be Blameless by W. Jack Savage

This is the story of Richard Smith. Raised in an Orphanage, his little sister dies there and his older sister went to live with relatives, or so he believed. As he grew up he joined the army, did a tour of Vietnam and garnered some medals. He went into Real Estate speculation on leaving the Army and it was in inspecting one of his properties that he suffered an electric shock. This brought to the forefront memories that refused to be quiet. With the blessings of family and friends he sets off on what should be a simple three day up and back journey. What transpires ends up being a adventure of epic proportions. Can Richard find the answers he seeks or is he fated to spend his life in the dark?

As I write this, I have just finished reading the book and I have tears rolling down my cheeks. It's been a long time since I read a story that felt SO real. As I read I felt I was living Richard's life with him, and everything he experienced. Jack's writing makes everything so vivid, and almost larger than life. The characters were all wonderful, and one or two were beautifully quirky. The mark of a good author is the ability to take you away and then when you are finished, leave you breathless and slightly disorientated. Jack certainly achieved that and more. I was sorry when it ended - and what a sad, but great ending to an amazingly special book.

No comments:

Post a Comment