Tuesday 7 January 2014

Corrosion by Jon Bassoff

This is the story of Joseph Downs. He is on the way to the Mountains when his pickup breaks down. He is forced to seek refuge in the nearest town while his truck is fixed. Horribly scarred while doing service in Iraq- peoples reactions to him are varied. But is Joseph all he seems?

This was a truly unique book. I must admit it took me a while to get used to the strange narrative but once I did, there was no stopping me. The story was gritty, and visceral and will stay with me for a long time I think. That's partly why I have left this review for a couple of days, as I was still inwardly digesting the story. I loved the characters, they had an edge and a rawness that appealed to me. The pace was unrelenting, and forced me to read it in three sittings! All in all, this is a belter of a debut, and would be thrilled to read more from this author.

2 comments: