Thursday 25 September 2014

Sunblind by Michael McBride

This is the story of Mayra. She is an illegal immigrant who is attempting to cross the inhospitable Sonoran desert to get into the US. Along with the rest of her party, she soon realises it is not just the searing heat they need to worry about, as they are picked off one by one by an unseen enemy. Enter a Federal Agent and his team who stumble over her near dead body. Puzzled by a warning she has carved into her skin, can they find out what happened before they are picked off themselves?

This was brutal and claustrophobic. It was all the more moving because it was based in 'real life'. The characters were solid and the story well paced and tight. I enjoyed it, and had, I have to say, some of the scariest, most claustrophobic cave scenes I have ever read! I have read a few of Michael's books now, and they never disappoint. I am eagerly awaiting the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment