Thursday 13 February 2014

Lurker by Gary Fry

This is the story of Meg and Harry. Meg has had a breakdown following the loss of their baby. They have moved to the coast to get away from all the memories and to allow Meg to recuperate. Harry still commutes to work and often leaves Meg alone for extended periods of time. Things start to get creepy, and Meg begins to see things. Handprints on the house, bad nightmares and something lurking in the cliffs all play on Meg's fragile psyche.

I liked this, but I didn't love it as much as others of Gary's I have read. It was ultimately a sad story and was quite stark in places. I enjoyed the build up to the end, and the tension crackled in the second half of the book. I truly felt for Meg being left alone so soon after her tragedy, and how fragile her mind seemed to become. Somehow though this just didn't seem to flow as well as others I have read, that being said it was an enjoyable story that I would still recommend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment