Saturday 24 May 2014

Dead Fives Pass by Colin F. Barnes

This is the story of Carise, a volunteer mountain rescuer. Her life has turned into an alcoholic mess after a miscarriage and a rescue that went horribly wrong. Persuaded to go on one last rescue with her ex, Marcel, can she curb her drinking and her feelings for him to facilitate the rescue? Before too long it becomes clear this is no ordinary rescue and she will have to rely on Marcel more than ever...

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like this, but it hooked me after the second or third page. The pace was relentless and crackled with tension. The flawed relationship between Carise and Marcel was well played out and their characters shone off the page. The descriptions were vivid and the atmosphere claustrophobic. I liked the nod to Lovcraft with the monster and the ending worked well and wasn't too predictable. I recommend this for a quick but action filled read.

No comments:

Post a Comment