Saturday 3 May 2014

Menace by Gary Fry

This is the story of Jane Marlow, a model. After a short-lived affair with a soap actor she finds herself pregnant. Knowing her commissions will now be limited, Jane takes on all the jobs she can before she begins to show. One such commission is for a book cover for a mysterious unknown author. She sets off for Yorkshire and finds herself in front of a huge and imposing old country house. When she goes inside to get changed for the shoot, she looks outside to see 6 children, all with startling blue eyes. On going back outside they have disappeared. On her return to London, strange things start happening to her, and her ex-lover. In a panic she reaches out to the author of the book. That's when things really start to get strange...

This was a nice easy read with a suitably horrifying ending. The tale built up slowly, and then in the last quarter rocketed to it's horrific ending. The descriptions were vivid, making me feel like I was there in Yorkshire. The characters were solid and I was invested in what happened to them. I read this in one sitting, as I could not put it down. I find myself enjoying Gary's work more and more and I am so glad he has found a home at DarkFuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment