Sunday 9 September 2012

Myra, Beyond Saddleworth by Jean Rafferty

This is the story of what might have happened had Myra Hindley not died in 2002. It sets forth the premise that she was released, under a new look and identity, not knowing she only had a short time left anyway. It charts the last few months of her life and the lives she touched in that time and the relationships she made along the way.

This was an interesting story. It was a difficult subject to write about and a highly emotive one, and for that reason alone I commend the author for tackling it. In no way were the crimes glorified and the author did not praise Myra at all. As I was reading, I found myself researching frequently on the internet. Not because I doubted the authors facts but because the story raised my natural curiosity. I like a book that makes me think and widen my horizons. The pace was a good one and I was instantly drawn into M's world. The writing was vivid and the characters were strong. I found it hard to read in places but that was because of the emotive subject. I thoroughly enjoyed this and recommend it totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment