Saturday 31 March 2012

The Surreal Killer by Jerold Last

We are once again joining Roger Bowman and Suzanne Foster, except this time they are Mr & Mrs Bowman and Suzanne is 3 months pregnant. Someone is brutally killing and mutilating women in South America. The brutality of the kills and the way the killer burns the bodies after has earned him the name 'The Surreal Killer'. Eduardo - the Paraguayan Police Chief from 'The Ambivalent Corpse' has once again asked for Roger and Suzanne's help. Whilst infiltrating a Biochemist Convention, can they find out who the killer is and stop him before it becomes too late?

This was a great follow up to 'The Ambivalent Corpse'. It stands alone very well, but does make references to the previous story so I would advise you read that one first. It was once again an unstoppable page turner. Present again were the dubious puns at the end of the chapters and the now familiar tourist guide approach. (Macchu Picchu is also going on my holiday list!) Alongside that was an utterly absorbing thriller. I was challenged by the author about half way through to guess who the killer was. I was sure I knew but thought it was too obvious and possibly a red herring. To me this is the mark of a good thriller, the author throwing bones and then taking you in an utterly different direction. Of course I was wrong and it was someone totally different! Well done Jerry for successfully keeping on my toes! I am eager to read book 4 now - keep them coming please!

No comments:

Post a Comment