Monday 4 August 2014

Ash & Bone by Lisa von Biela

This is the story of Eileen Maroni and Frank Foster. Eileen is running from her past and ends up in sleepy Cromwell Bay. Deciding to put her past behind her, she ends up buying the Harbor Motel. Frank is driving home from his best friends funeral and ends up at the motel for a rest. Soon their lives will clash in a major way as they try to find out what is wrong with Room #8...

I enjoyed this, it was a gentle horror mystery type of tale. Not as horrific or gory as some I have read but enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, any more than that I think would have spoiled the overall effect. The pace started off slowly, allowing me to become immersed in the story, but I think it finished off a little short. This didn't ruin the story at all, but I feel it could have been expanded a little. That being said it was still a well crafted and thoroughly enjoyable novella. I look forward eagerly to Lisa's next release.

No comments:

Post a Comment