Wednesday 27 August 2014

Hellfire's Judgement by Linda L. Barton

This is the story of Sherry Jeffries. She goes to the shops for her mum one day and doesn't come back for hours. When she does come back however, her clothes are all torn and she is soaking wet. She says she was kidnapped, beaten and raped but refuses to name her attacker. Some days on a young lad named Todd comes round with flowers and Sherry goes berserk, naming him as her attacker. They go to court and astonishingly he gets acquitted. Sherry's grandfather, Clay, is disgusted, and fearing that his other granddaughter or possibly other girls may be at risk, he decides to teach Todd a lesson he will never forget....

This is one of those books that stays with you after you have finished it. In fact now, nearly 24 hours after I have read it, I am still turning it over in my mind. If you are a parent, or grandparent then it will haunt you and make you question whether you would do the same. I cried when Todd was acquitted - my heart went out to the family, whom you couldn't help but love. The pace flowed and despite the difficult subject I couldn't put it down, needing to find out what happened at each step. Would I do what Clay did? I'm not sure, but I certainly commend him for his spirit and family loyalty!

No comments:

Post a Comment