Saturday 14 February 2015

Conduits by Jennifer Loring

This is the story of Mara. She is a Japanese American still haunted by the death of her sister. She cuts herself to bring release and was checked into a psychiatric hospital at the time. Now the death of her boyfriend has pushed her already fragile mind to its limit, and when she is unable to discern dreams from reality, her roommate decides to check her into hospital to get some help. Can she unravel the mystery before it's too late and she is committed again?

This was an eerie look into Maras soul. Jennifer's writing caught me from the beginning and I read most of the book in one sitting. The narrative flowed and was so beautifully descriptive I felt I was there. The interjection of Japanese folklore made the reading interesting and gave Mara a good background. I ached for her as she tried to find out what was real and what was not while still holding onto her sanity! This is definitely my favourite read of the year so far, well done Jennifer and DarkFuse!

No comments:

Post a Comment